Minnesota and the Twin Cities area is a probably one of the best places for disc golf around. We have tons of good courses and a fair share of local professionals and are lucky for it. I was thinking why doesn't someone set up a disc golf workshop where local pros could instruct newer players on the basics of disc golf?

A few workshop ideas:

Disc selection

Distance driving

Putting

Getting out of trouble shots

Probably a lot more that I'm not thinking about.

We could charge like $30 for all or some of the workshops and disc vendors could be there to sell their wares, as disc selection workshop will probably sell a lot of discs. The fee could be used to pay the pros for there time and the rest into a course development fund.

The downfall I think is that new, under-experienced players are the ones that would benefit the most from attending but the least likely to hear about it. I think having some contests at the end of the day for prizes might draw in more of this crowd

Anyone more involved in the sport should definitely take this on, I don't have a lot of experience putting on event nor do I know any pros, otherwise I would take it on myself. I would definately attend though.

Thoughts? Ideas? Criticisms?

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's a fantastic idea, Luke!  I've asked about doing the same thing here "down South" for a couple years now...but we don't have nearly the DG population (at least not within such a concentrated area) as MSP.  And I can't believe that Advanced/Open (even Intermediate) caliber players wouldn't be willing to help newbies or kids take a step or two forward with their games.

Be nice if people didn't need to be paid to do it too...but time is money, and I know that if eekspurts are always giving it away, they'll have trouble taking care of their own financial business.  Even once or twice a year though, it'd be nice if top players could take lesser players under their wings, critique their grip, footwork and form, suggest potential plastics that would better-suit a player's ability, etc.  Heck, I've been playing for 35 years (off and on), and I still feel like a kid in a candy store when I get to play the rare round with some of the better Advanced players in the State.  Never really get to play rounds with any Open players, but I'd obviously be the same way if I ever did.  Just watch, learn, and have them even throw 2-3 nuggets/ideas my way, and I call that a great day on the course.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Derek Tonn.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service